Monday, 17 December 2012

It's the Final Countdown...

Five days until we travel home for the holidays. I am getting more excited by the second, never mind the day.

I managed to arrange my wheelchair hire today - rock and roll (literally)- and have finally finished my shopping. Apart from actually packing, I'm all set.

Despite the growing excitement,and ticking off on mental checklists, today wasn't the best of days, I've felt very lightheaded and weak whenever I've got up to walk around the flat. I had been feeling slightly stronger the past couple of days but, again, it looks like the M.E. has other ideas and has decided to dump right back at square one again. Or at least, that's what it feels like.

Action for M.E. were asking on Twitter today what we'll all be doing to pace ourselves over the festivities and, I suppose, aside from knowing I'd need to hire a wheelchair, it was the first time it really hit me that I'll have to take everything a lot slower this year and make not only physical but mental adjustments. And, feeling  as weak as I am today, also brought it home that, in this state, I'll probably be good for lying on the couch and chatting, but not a lot else. 

I will probably have to absent myself on a number of occasions, take myself off for a lie down or some much needed sleep. Which will be frustrating, as I really hate the thought of missing out on anything. But still, needs must I guess. Like I said, this Yuletide is going to be a bit of a learning curve for me, but also for my family as well. Aside from having to push me around (lucky them!), they'll also have to get used to the idea that I'll either be prostrate for much of it, or unconscious. 

I'm still a bit of a novice with the whole pacing idea, but hopefully, if I can sleep when I need to, and make sure I get plenty of rest, I'll still be able to have a wonderful- albeit horizontal- Christmas.

Does anyone have any good tips they've learnt to make sure you get most out of the holidays without bankrupting your body of all its energy?

How do you pace yourself?

Answers on a Christmas Card, please....






No comments:

Post a Comment